I’m Chris Beckstrom.
I make music, I build synthesizers, I do stuff outside, in the kitchen, and on the internet.
Like everyone, I’m a lot of things. Here is a list of some of them:
- I’m a musician, composer, producer, multi-instrumentalist, performer, and lover of sounds.
- I release a handful of albums every year (full discography here)
- I built a modular synthesizer from scratch without any electronics experience.
- I’m a volunteer, an activist, and an LGBTQ+ ally
- I’m a friendly atheist, a board member of Center for Inquiry–Michigan, and the founder of the Alto Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
- I like to ferment stuff, code stuff, and am constantly learning new things
- I love to fish, forage, hike, kayak, camp, and be outside
- I am a synesthete– meaning I have synesthesia– an unusual neurological condition that means (among other things) I literally see sound
- I’m the Head Fixer of Stuff at ChartCapture
Back in Chicago I taught Music Technology for grad students at Columbia College Chicago
I also played hundreds of gigs on saxophone and keyboards throughout the midwest, especially in Chicagoland. I Earned an MFA in Film Scoring from the same place. Before that, I got BAs in Music and Spanish from Western Michigan University.
I’m from Flint, Michigan and live just outside Grand Rapids, Michigan in lovely rural Alto, surrounded by cornfields, trees, and deer. I have a wife named Claire, a daughter named June, a dog named Walter, and a studio full of musical instruments.
Many ways to connect over here