This is a now page. It’s a list of what I’m up to. Less ephemeral and more big picture than a single post.
As the nownownow.com/about page describes, “Think of what you’d tell a friend you hadn’t seen in a year.”
What I’m doing now:
Last updated: March 29, 2018 at 10:45 am
- Hanging out with an 8+ month-old named June (my daughter)
- Working on a composition commission for two trombones and electronics, to be premiered at the 2018 International Trombone Festival. Commissioned by Chris Van Hof (check him out, he’s great!). The title of the piece is “Make More Noise with this One Weird Trick”
- Weaning myself from such a dependence on social media, especially Facebook. Learning about the Indieweb, setting up this website as the primary source of my internet postings
- Getting excited about Spring and everything that comes with it: fishing, hiking, foraging (RAMPS!!!!), and being outside
- Trying to volunteer more regularly with Center for Inquiry Michigan. It’s been a tough to juggle everything since June arrived last July!
What I’ve done recently:
- Had a video of my DIY modular synthesizer go inexplicably viral on Facebook (Instagram link). Currently 1,253,017 Views!!
- Moved to a new email address: email@example.com – after 13 years of gmail. It’s linked to my domain and hosted by Fastmail
- Added lots of new modules to said modular synthesizer
- Secured my home server with an SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt, which I use for my websites and personal VPN (for safe browsing away from home)
- I’ve been experimenting quite a bit with the algorithmic sound software TidalCycles
- Released my 9th annual (!!!) holiday album (December 2017)
- Released an album of house and techno called “Mixtape” (July 2017)
- Released an EP created with the iOS app Nanoloop: “nanobeckstrom EP” (July 2017)
- Released an album of experimental music created with software, hardware, and my modular synthesizer: “Adventures in Sound Volume 3: Experiments” (June 2017)